|Hubert Victor Whitsey|
|Bishop of Chester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chester|
|Other posts||Bishop of Hertford 1971–74|
|Born||21 November 1916|
|Died||25 December 1987 (aged 71)|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Alma mater||St Edmund Hall, Oxford|
Whitsey was educated at Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Blackburn and St Edmund Hall, Oxford. After a curacy in Chorley he became the Vicar of Farington and the Rural Dean of Bolton before his ordination to the episcopate.
Allegations of sexual abuse
In 2016–17 Cheshire Constabulary conducted a 13-month investigation called Operation Coverage to investigate allegations that Victor Whitsey had sexually abused persons who were under the age of consent. In October 2017 the force announced that five male and eight female witnesses had alleged they were victims, and that were Whitsey still alive he would have been interviewed in connection with 10 of those 13 allegations.
I longed for [Whitsey]’s blessing to achieve my wish of a future as a vicar, serving God and the community. He told me he agreed I had a calling from God. He also told me he had the power to give me everything I wanted in life and the power to take it all away. He then proceeded to abuse me sexually and psychologically. I was powerless to stop him.
The alleged victim, who was a teenage boy at the time, added that as a result he lost his religious faith, started self-harming, and later had a mental breakdown and as a result had attempted suicide.
- Anglican Communion sexual abuse cases
- Peter Ball (bishop) – who was convicted in 2015 for sexually abusing boys when he was Bishop of Gloucester in the 1970s and 80s
- “Who was Who” 1897–2007. London: A & C Black. 2007. ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7.
- “New Bishop of Chester”. The Times (58927). London. 31 October 1973. col E, p. 1.
- Holmes, David (17 October 2017). “Child sex attack shame of former Bishop of Chester”. Chester Chronicle. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- Crockford’s Clerical Directory. London: Oxford University Press 1976. 1975. ISBN 0-19-200008-X.
- Sherwood, Harriet (17 October 2017). “Former bishop of Chester investigated over abuse allegations”. The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- Holmes, David (17 October 2017). “Sexual abuse victim of former Bishop of Chester speaks out”. Chester Chronicle. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Hertford
|Bishop of Chester
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|