“Bishop George Bell: Review To Look At ‘Abuse’ Case” – BBC & Chichester Observer – June 28 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36650130?post_id=100000081379450_1298937736785593#_=_

BBC – Bishop George Bell: Review To Look At ‘Abuse’ Case

  • 28 June 2016
Rt Rev George BellGETTY IMAGES – The Rt Rev George Bell was Bishop of Chichester from 1929 until his death in 1958

An independent review is to be carried out into how the Church of England handled the case of a former bishop named as an alleged paedophile.

The church settled the civil claim of a woman who said she was abused by the late Bishop of Chichester, George Bell, in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

The review will look at how it handled the allegations, first made in 1995, and the decision to settle the case.

Bishop Bell’s supporters have been critical of the church’s investigation.

‘Lessons to learn’

The George Bell Group said Bishop Bell – Bishop of Chichester from 1929 until his death in 1958 – was “much admired” and noted for being one of the first to speak out in the 1930s against the dangers Adolf Hitler posed.

Its members claim the Church of England made little effort to corroborate the allegations with any reference to the clergyman’s diaries or papers, or those who had worked with him.

The Church of England said its national safeguarding team would commission the review to see what lessons could be learnt from how the case was handled.

It said it had always recognised Bishop Bell’s principled stand in World War II, but it also had a duty to listen to survivors.

‘Support survivor’

The allegations of abuse, by a woman known as “Carol”, were first taken to the Diocese of Chichester in 1995 but no action was taken.

It was only after she took the allegations to Lambeth Palace in 2013 that a claim was settled last year.

The review will look at the how both sets of allegations were handled and the settlement of the case.

“As in any serious safeguarding situation, it is always important to learn lessons from the process and this review will ensure this is done,” said Bishop of Chichester Dr Martin Warner.

“I have, however, made it absolutely clear that the survivor in the case be reassured that we will do everything we can to continue to support her as we have done throughout this process.”

CHICHESTER OBSERVER – Diocese of Chichester to review processes used in Bishop George Bell case

IMG_4344
Chichester Cathedral

10:41 Tuesday 28 June 2016

An independent review of the processes used in the George Bell case has been announced today by the Diocese of Chichester.

Last October the Bishop of Chichester issued a formal apology following the settlement of a legal civil claim regarding an allegation of sexual abuse of a child against the Right Reverend George Bell, who was Bishop of Chichester from 1929 until his death on 3rd October 1958.

In a statement, the diocese said: “The House of Bishops practice guidance on all complex cases states that once all matters relating to any serious safeguarding situation have been completed, the Core Group should meet again to review the process and to consider what lessons can be learned for the handling of future serious safeguarding situations.

“A review has always been carried out in any case involving allegations against a bishop.

“The review will be commissioned by the Church of England’s National Safeguarding Team, on the recommendation of the Bishop of Chichester, to see what lessons can be learnt from how the case was handled.

“The case involves the settlement in 2015 of a legal civil claim regarding sexual abuse against George Bell, who was Bishop of Chichester from 1929-1958. “The Church has always recognised Bishop Bell’s principled stand in the Second World War and his contribution to peace but it also has a duty to listen to survivors.

“The diocese of Chichester continues to be in touch and offer support to the survivor known as Carol, who brought the allegations in this case.

“The review will look at the processes surrounding the allegations which were first brought in 1995 to the diocese of Chichester with the same allegations brought again, this time to Lambeth Palace, in 2013. “It will also consider the processes, including the commissioning of expert independent reports and archival and other investigations, which were used to inform the decision to settle the case.

“The settlement was based on the balance of probabilities as criminal proceedings cannot be brought in a case where the alleged perpetrator is dead.

“Details of the review including Terms of Reference and name of the independent reviewer will be announced at a later date.”

The Bishop of Chichester, Dr Martin Warner said; “As in any serious safeguarding situation it is always important to learn lessons from the process and this review will ensure this is done. “I have, however, made it absolutely clear that the survivor in the case be reassured that we will do everything we can to continue to support her as we have done throughout this process. “Like her, we recognise the gravity of this matter, given its impact on the national and international reputation of Bishop George Bell.

“I hope that the review will provide a constructive way forward for all concerned.

“Along with my colleagues in the wider Church, I am committed to ensuring that the past is handled with honesty.”

Read more at: http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/diocese-of-chichester-to-review-processes-used-in-bishop-george-bell-case-1-7452592

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s